By Layla Rawji
When it comes to skincare we are all always looking for ways to treat our skin better, New tips and tricks are everywhere, but it’s tough to know which ones are actually beneficial. Some of these hacks were new to me, but after trying them all out I’ll definitely be using them.
1. Consider double cleansing
Double cleansing is a two-step process where you first wash your face with an oil-based cleanser, and then wash it with a water-based cleanser. This allows you to get the best of both worlds! Oil cleansers pull off any oil-based impurities out of your skin including any makeup that didn’t come off with your makeup remover. After removing this first layer of dirt the water-based cleanser will be better able to penetrate the layers of the skin since the oil barrier has been washed away.
2. Cold water challenge Finish off the cleansing step of your skincare routine with a quick cold water rinse. This will help close your pores and prevent bacteria and dirt from entering your freshly cleaned pores. 3. Apply moisturizer before drying off Applying a facial moisturizer right after cleansing and before toweling off has been found to be the best time to moisturize your skin. Similarly, apply your favorite body lotion or cream on your entire body right after hopping out of the shower.
4. Caffeinated eye creams fight dark circles!
Consuming caffeine actually promotes dark circles but having it in your eye cream actually helps them! If you struggle with dark circles, check that your eye cream contains some caffeine in it as it has been found to diminish both puffiness and dark circles!
5. Store your products in the right place
Skincare products are expensive so making the extra effort to store them in the right place will ensure that you maximize their effectiveness. No products should be left in direct sunlight or in heat as the active ingredients can start to break down. As long as you leave your products in a cool and dry area you’re ok! Here’s a little breakdown on how to make sure you get the best use out of your products.
- Vitamin C and retinoids: these products are heat and light sensitive, meaning they break down and oxidize faster if stored in a location with lots of light and heat. Storing these products in the fridge will keep them effective for longer.
- 100% natural ingredients: Have fewer and milder preservatives so keeping them in the fridge will increase their shelf life.
- Oil based products: Keep them far from the fridge, in colder temperatures oil and water separate which could ruin your products as they may not return to their original mixture.
These are my top 5 Skincare Hacks, what are yours? The journey to the perfect skin is a tough one, but it can be made easier if we keep learning from each other. To stay updated on our journeys as we continue to expand upon our skincare knowledge subscribe for updates and follow us on Instagram!